Monday 6 May 2013

The Challenge

When I build a layout, one of my aims is to be able to have all, or as many as possible, of my trains on it at the same time, with as many of them running as possible. Over recent years, given limited space for a layout, I've been building up, adding levels as layouts have been re-built. The last version had 6 trains running at the same time on 3 levels.

A year ago I moved into a cosy flat that has no space for a permanent layout, so the bricks have been boxed away. Eventually though, the itch needed scratching, and the idea that started somewhere a few months ago has taken shape. I'll still be able to run 6 of my 9 trains at any given time, but this time only on two levels. That's the easy bit though...

Because I can't set up a full 10 foot by 4 foot (3m x 1.2m) layout in my flat, I'm building this in 4 sections that  can be transported (relatively) easily and clicked together at a venue. In my head, it's straightforward, though I know from experience that it's never as easy as I think it is! The basic layout looks like this, with a copy of the track layout on the second level.

(Designed on Bluebrick)

Among the challenges will be getting everything to line up so when the sections come together the trains can run, getting all the wiring into the two central sections so that hooking everything up at an event doesn't take too long, (I use both the old 12v and newer but replaced 9v track systems), building solidly enough to transport the sections without collapsing and being able to access the trains in tunnels where they will inevitably be when they derail! And then, just to add to the challenge, the 4 sections need to be stackable for storage between events... Good job I love a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment