Saturday 11 May 2013

The Baseboards are Ready (almost)

I must resist the temptation to start building tomorrow! I've spent today building the base boards that the whole layout will sit on, and the temptation is to get the bricks out and get cracking, but I need to be patient and wait. I could crack on, but that would make it more difficult to paint the rails around the boards.


Yes, there's a gap in the middle of each board! Each one is designed to take 15 Lego 32x32 baseplates, the standard size for road plates etc, which comes out at 765 mm x 1274 mm, and B&Q's biggest bit of chipboard is 1220 mm deep... So my limited carpentry skills stretched them a bit with the gap, which will be covered by the baseplates anyway. The rail on 3 sides of this board are to keep everything in place when I'm transporting the sections.


The four baseboards are currently sitting on the table in the lounge, the top one here shows the road plan for one end of the layout.

I've got the day off on Tuesday, the forecast isn't great, so I'm hoping to get on with the proper building then, once I've painted the rails and done a bit of sanding tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment